Search

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Reddit and What I Found There

Reddit is the weirdest place I have ever been on the internet. Its a mixture of news feeds, comedy pages, and social networking. I have alwats seen Reddit as a comedy site, thanks to my friends that have only showed me that side, but thanks to this assignment I now know there is more to Reddit.
kpgolfpro, "Reddit", 11/5/2015


1. What kinds of things do people in the Reddit forums seem to be arguing about, debating, disagreeing about or otherwise engaging in meaningful exhanges of ideas about? Give us a descriptive and clear sense of the kinds of stories you're seeing in the Reddit forums.
The two Reddit forums mainly focused on projects that the authors are working on or current events in the engineering and, more specifically, chemical engineering worlds. Both forums also had feeds about job postings related to chemical engineering and feeds on people looking for jobs were they could post their resumes for employers to glimpse or give feedback.

2. In your opinion, what are the two most interesting debates/disagreements you found in the Reddit forums? Hyperlink us to the two different Reddit threads and explain why you found those debates interesting. Be specific and honest and be yourself. I don't want you to blah-blah-blah this. I want you to really engage.
Surprisingly, I found the resumee feed to be the most interesting because it gave me an idea of what I need to have on my resume when I go to apply for a job. Lots of Redditors posted comments on resumes and tips on how to make the resume stand out to employers. The second feed I found interesting was the article on conductive concrete that melts snow. Even though it isn't a chemical engineering related feed it I find that they have created a concrete that uses heating coils to melt concrete instead of using salt or snow plows to clear the snow. The debate on the feed focuses on the large amount of energy required to melt the snow and how inificient it is.

3. Overall, what impression do you get of your discipline based on what you saw happening in the Reddit forums? Were the people in those forums talking in ways you expected or did not expect, about things you anticipated they'd be talking aboput or things you had no idea they'd be discussing? Explain in concise specific detail.
I got the impression from these Reddit feeds that Chemical Engineering is how I imagined it to be. The surprising part was the feeds on resume help and job postings. I didn't expect a place like Reddit to have something as serious as job postings on it. All I have ever heard about Reddit is from people who spend their time on the comedy side. They have only ever told me about the funny cat page or the pranks page. So it was a big surprise to even find out that my field of study had its own feed.

Links:
https://www.reddit.com/r/engineering/
https://www.reddit.com/r/ChemicalEngineering

No comments:

Post a Comment